We’re a free service run by four veteran editors who volunteer our time to share our journalistic expertise through our daily stories and training sessions. All our editors are unpaid, but we do accrue costs. These are:
- Paying our journalists: Although our editors regularly write stories and are unpaid, we always pay our contributors for their articles
- Paying our production editor: We need to pay our expert production editor to make sure our stories are presented as effectively as possible
- Technical costs: These include hosting our website, distribution of our stories through MailChimp and site maintenance
- Paying a technical consultant: We also need someone to be on hand for when things go wrong with the website, as well as to take on other administrative work
- Training journalists: We offer training for developing country journalists, as we did in Paris at COP21, where we mentored journalists reporting on the negotiations.
The Climate News Network has been generously supported by the Ashden Trust, the JJ Charitable Trust and the Mark Leonard Trust, three of the Sainsbury Family Charitable Trusts, and by the Lush Charity Pot. This support has ensured the Network’s continuation till now, but we’re also seeking the means to ensure our long-term sustainability through regular financial support.
Climate change isn’t going away and we want to go on reporting on it.
How you can help
Spread the word
The best thing you can do for us is to share our stories as far and wide as possible. Our mission has always been to provide reliable, accessible climate science journalism in order to inform a world where climate misinformation is commonplace and where climate change still isn’t a ‘mainstream’ concern. A large part of our service is aimed at developing country journalists who may not have access to the same scientific journals, contacts or background knowledge as our editors; we want to make sure they know our service exists and is free to use. The more people we reach, the more we can hope that we’re contributing to slowing or even stopping climate change.
Support us through Patreon
You can support us by making a small monthly pledge through Patreon, a service developed for this exact reason. Patreon works by enabling a reader to donate whatever they want per month – the donation is recurring each month after you sign up. Any contribution, from £1/month up, would be hugely helpful to our cause as we work towards long-term sustainability. Please contribute here. Thank you!
Donate through PayPal
If you don’t want to commit to monthly donations, you can make a regular old donation through PayPal, using the button below or on the right.
The best way for us to monitor our readership, and for you to receive our daily stories, is through our email list. Check your spam boxes, though, as occasionally our stories can end up there.